18 October 2010

MISSION: Mellon Hall Happiness

Well!  Life sure has a way of sneaking up on us, doesn't it?  I'm so sorry it's been days since I posted a mission.

BUT!

I'm so excited to post today's mission because...well...I participated in it!  I didn't complete the mission alone.  In fact, I was merely there for photo-taking and moral support.  I accompanied new Affiliated Agent MB on her very first mission.  I prepped it, but she carried it out.  Way to go, Affiliated Agent MB!

Date: Monday, 18 October 2010

Location: lounge area; Department of Biological Sciences; Mellon Hall; Duquesne University; Pittsburgh, PA

Time: 4:34 p.m.

If I may, I'll provide the narrative for today's double-agent mission.

It was a long day, no doubt.  Filing papers, answering phone calls, processing paperwork, answering emails, putting out fires...our work in our department is never done.  On my way out for the day, I mentioned to my colleague that I'd planned on doing a mission.  She was very interested in what I planned on doing, but I was so tired, that I hadn't really thought that far in advance.  I had the gift in my bag; that was as far as I'd gotten.


I'd wanted to complete this mission over a week ago, during Mental Health Awareness Week.  But, as it is known for doing, life got all crazy and messy.  And the mission never happened.  But, better late than never, right?  So I suggested to Affiliated Agent MB that she carry out this mission, regardless of its lateness.  She got SO excited.  

Thus began our tandem effort of kindness.




My accomplice and I aren't involved in the science side of academia.  We're Liberal Arts people.  But we know how hard students work to study the sciences.  We know the demands and sacrifices that faculty members and staff members have endured and made to be where they are.  My Affiliated Agent decided that we should target them for our mission.  I agreed.


We headed out of our building at the end of the work day and made our way across campus to the science building.



We made our way inside, trying to determine the best location for The Drop.  The first floor lecture hall was filled with students, so we went to the second floor--the Biological Sciences Department.



We scouted the area for a few minutes, hoping to find the perfect place.  Affiliated Agent MB turned the corner and spotted this lovely little lounge area.  

Rumor has it that a pretty big Chemistry exam is coming up tomorrow.  I imagine that some of the people in the Biology Department are also in Chemistry.  And chances are, they'll be taking that monster exam.  

Affiliated Agent MB knew right away that this was The Spot.  She picked a chair and put the gift on it.  (And, yes, she squealed with delight from the excitement of it all.)


And she said she felt so good afterward.  Yes!  Mission accomplished!

4 comments:

Shark said...

I love your blog. I love your writing, I love your whimsy, I love your missions. I want to do this in my town.

Ra ra ra!!

Love,
Shark
http://UnusualNotions.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Totally Awesome Mission! I'm sure those students appreciated it.

Molly said...

I wish I knew who found this! Great mission.

Mandy said...

What a great mission~so fun to read about and exciting to think an overworked, stressed out student had an unexpected smile brought to their face!