09 October 2010

MISSION: Notes of Niceness

I'm a girl who loves words.  I love words so much that I decided to put myself through the tortures of graduate school to study them.  Quotes?  I've got books full of them.  I have them jotted down on pieces of scrap paper all over the place.  I have them on Post-Its stuck around my desk.  And Quotable Cards?  Well, let's just say we're in a long-term relationship.

Iowa Affiliated Agent L loves them, too.  She completed her first mission using them.  I particularly love this mission because Affiliated Agent L chose quotes that are uplifting, and seeing that this week is National Mental Health Awareness Week, it seems a perfectly fitting mission.  Sometimes, when depression or anxiety find their way into our lives, it can be a word or two of encouragement and love that helps us get through it.  Well done, Affiliated Agent L.

Date: Monday, 27 September 2010

Location: various locations around Iowa town

Time: 6:30 p.m.

Let's hear about her first mission!

I am so excited to have completed my first mission!  Let me tell you, it was quite an exhilarating experience. I had no idea how much of an adrenaline rush it would be!

I was in a discount store one night looking for a card of encouragement for a friend of mine who is struggling right now when I came across the perfect little "pick-me-ups" for my first official mission.  I was hoping these cheery sayings would be just the perfect thing to brighten someone's day.


I picked up enough "happy thoughts" cards for each of them...


...and found some happiness quotes to write inside the cards.


"The best vitamin to be a happy person is B1."  Author Unknown

"One joy scatters a hundred griefs." Chinese Proverb

"Some picture happiness; others create it." Author Unknown

My goal with this mission was simply to bring a smile to someone's face and put a little extra spring in their step for the day.  Just getting the stuff together was enough to make me smile!

Since I had several packages ready for this mission, I enlisted both my mom and sister-in-law to help me make these drops in
different locations.  Unfortunately I don't have pictures of their drop locations, but my mom chose to put hers in the restroom at her church.  My sister-in-law works at the university and chose to place hers somewhere on campus.  I know it made me happy just to watch the two of them walk out of my house with the packages in their purses!

My heart was pounding as I was driving around deciding on my first location which was a bus stop in town.  It took me several minutes to find an unoccupied bus stop without people milling around.


Just when I thought I had made it in and out quick enough to make the drop and snap a fast picture, I turned around to see a man sitting in his truck across the street looking at me through binoculars!  I just started giggling and hoped that he wasn't taking down my license plates and calling the police as I walked
back to my getaway vehicle :)

My next drop location was a park bench around a lake area where many people go to exercise, walk their dogs, and kayak or fish.  It was such a gorgeous night with many people out, but this drop was much easier as people seemed to be preoccupied with what they were doing.  I casually sat on a bench and gazed at the lake for awhile wondering who might be the one to find this and snuck away when no one was too close by.


My final drop was inside a tailgating tent in the university parking lot. I figured one of the students who park in that lot or someone setting up for a tailgate before this weekend's football game would have a nice little surprise.


The sheer joy this first mission brought to me was amazing. I can't wait to continue spreading random acts of kindness!

Thanks to you Secret Agent L for letting me join your ranks! 

Thank YOU, Affiliated Agent L, for your words and acts of kindness!

No comments: