14 September 2010

MISSION: Park and Pay

If you live in a city, you know how hard it can be to find parking. And you also know how ridiculously expensive it is. Pittsburgh doesn't have the best public transit, so most people use cars to get around. And those cars have to be parked somewhere, right? I always feel bad as a result of the amount of money we have to pay just to put our cars somewhere. And those payments can really add up!

Affiliated Agent J in Seattle has had her fair share of parking payments. And she decided to help out another driver with his/her payment for the day!


Date: Tuesday, 7 September 2010


Location: parking garage; University of Washington Medical Center

Time: 1:15 p.m.


Affiliated Agent J tells us her story:


This was my first mission and I was so excited to do it! Last year I was diagnosed with cancer and have had several surgeries related to that. Because of that, I wanted to do something at the hospital where I had received my care. My latest reconstructive surgery was scheduled for September, 7th, 2010, which just happened to be my thirty-fourth birthday as well. What a better time to do a random act of kindness for someone else. Planning this mission helped keep my mind off the surgery and my nerves to a minimum. After a lot of thinking, I decided to leave parking money on a car in the garage. Who knows how much I have spent in parking up there in the last year, and figured maybe someone else could benefit from a little parking break too! I had a great time writing the card and wondering who would be reading it.

When I arrived at the University of Washington Medical Center at 1:15p, I looked around the parking garage for the perfect car. I chose one that looked like it had been there awhile. There were blankets and pillows in the back seat. I'm hoping I chose wisely!

As I went into the hospital and checked in for my surgery, the excitement of the mission put me completely at ease. Surgery went well, and yes, I am currently in remission! This will certainly be a new birthday tradition...well, minus the surgery!

Affiliated Agent J! There are SO many reasons to celebrate this mission:

1. Happy Birthday!


2. Your surgery was a success!

3. You're a cancer survivor! YAY!!!!


4. You opened your heart to someone else who is spending time at the hospital. No matter why they're there, you chose wisely, simply because you extended kindness.


Thank you so much, and congratulations on being in remission!! We are SO GLAD you're here!

4 comments:

Sandy said...

So many positive things about this Agent's mission! I second all the things Secret Agent L said. I definitely think the car with blankets and pillows in it was a great choice!

Anonymous said...

wow, that was a good mission, kudos, and best wishes to you.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful mission! You certainly touched the recipient's heart as well as the hearts of everyone who just read this blog.

Job well done!

Operation Smiley Face said...

This one brought tears to my eyes, and truly touched my heart. I am in the midst of treating my Stage 4 Breast Cancer, and I know what a challenge it is, and to see this agent think of others while heading into surgery is just phenomenal and so inpsiring to me. I just want to say Happy Birthday, and as you keep on living keep on giving. It is the easiest way to find what happiness is all about. CONGRATS too on your remission! Good health to you.